Tangy, tasty and terribly moreish. This pie is easy to make and is guaranteed to make a popular centrepiece for any social gathering.
Taken from 'The complete colour cookbook' edited by Gill Edden and published in 1977, this recipe uses only 10 ingredients.
Original Recipe: 'Lime Meringue Pie' (Book 9, 1977)
Speed: 40 mins | Serves: 8
For the crust:
50g caster sugar
225g cream crackers
For the lime filling:
2 fresh limes
2 ½ tsp. Cornflour
75g caster sugar
2 medium egg yolks
For the meringue topping:
2 medium egg whites
100g caster sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 160°C fan (325°F/Gas Mark 3).
2. Smash up the crackers until they form a fine crumb. This can be done with a food processor or you can vent your anger with a rolling pin.
3. Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy and light.
4. Add the creamed butter to the cracker crumbs and combine until the crumbs can be squeezed and hold their shape.
5. Use the crumb mixture to line the base and sides of a 20cm flan dish (we advise using one with a push bottom for easy release of the pie later). Be sure to level the crumb mixture in the dish and push against the base and sides with your hands or a flat object until they form a uniform crust base. Once complete, place in the fridge to firm.
6. Grate the zest of the limes and juice them into a measuring jug. Top up the juice with water until you have a total of 300ml of liquid.
7. Add the lime/water mixture to a pan along with the lime zest, cornflour, butter and sugar. Mix thoroughly whilst bringing to the boil and allow to thicken, stirring continuously. Allow to cool slightly and add the beaten egg yolks. Once cooled slightly, the mixture should have the consistency of a thick custard and be slightly translucent.
8. Pour the mixture into the pie and level out ensuring it touches all of the sides.
9. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Beat in half of the sugar and fold in the remaining half.
10. Spoon the meringue over the pies filling, again making sure that it touches the sides and completely covers the filling.
11. Place in the middle of your pre-heated oven and bake for 20 mins or until golden brown.
'Can be served hot or cold.'
Original Recipe for ‘Lime Meringue Pie'
'BOOK 9': The Complete Colour Cookbook (1977)
Edited By: Gill Edden
Publisher: Octopus Books Limited (59 Grosvenor Street, London, W1, England, U.K.)