This luxurious and creamy 1920s soup is sure to warm your cockles! Try serving with our rustic breakfast rolls.
Original Recipe: 'Haddock Soup' (Book 4, 1928)
Speed: 50 mins. | Serves: 4
340g Smoked haddock
500ml of fish stock
500ml of full fat milk.
1/2 tsp of celery seeds (in a muslin bag)
1/2 tsp of nutmeg
56g plain flour
Pepper to taste
1. Place the haddock in a saucepan with enough water to cover and bring to the boil.
2. Discard the water and set the fish to one side.
3. Melt the butter in the saucepan and mix in the flour until combined.
4. Add the fish stock and milk and stir continuously until boiling.
5. Add the haddock chunks, celery seeds and nutmeg and let simmer on low for 30 mins.
6. Remove the celery seeds and use a spoon the break up the haddock a little.
Note: We served ours hot with sourdough rolls.
Original Recipe for 'Haddock Soup'
'BOOK 4': Bestway Cookery Gift Book (Third Book) (1928)
By: Best Way
Publisher: Offices of the "Best Way" Series (Fleetway House, Farringdon Street, London, E.C.4, England, U.K.)