Sweet, chocolatey goodness all the way from 1928. These little dark chocolate puddings are quick and easy to make at a moment’s notice; a great hot dessert for your Sunday night treat. The marshmallow sauce gives it a welcome dose of added sweetness. A good custard poured over would be perfect too.
Original Recipe: 'Baked Chocolate Puddings' (Book 4, 1928)
Speed: 30 mins | Serves: 2
1 oz / 28g Butter
1 oz / 28g Sugar
1 oz / 28g Plain Flour
1 oz / 28g Cocoa Powder
½ tsp. Baking Powder
4 oz / 113g Marshmallows
Note: The original recipe proposed to make 6 puddings which is quite impossible unless using moulds no larger than an egg cup. These amounts will deliver enough mixture to make 2 little puddings if using moulds of a similar size to ours (plain dariole moulds). We later made another two more puddings.
As for the sauce, we used about 60ml of water. The original recipe for the sauce, which is just a small note under that of the puddings, suggests using 1 gill (142ml) but this will give you a very watery, thin sauce. We suggest adding a little water until you get a good pouring consistency of whatever thickness you prefer. Wait for all of the marshmallows to dissolve before adding more water.
To make the Puddings
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4 and grease 2 small pudding basins or dariole moulds.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, and then beat in the egg.
3. Sift into the butter mixture the flour, cocoa and baking powder. Lightly mix together until combined.
4. Fill the moulds three-quarters full and bake for about 20 minutes or until cooked all the way through. 5 minutes before they are ready, make the marshmallow sauce.
To make the Marshmallow Sauce
5. Place in a saucepan over a low heat all of the marshmallows and a little water (about 60 ml). Gently mix; the marshmallows will begin to melt and combine with the water. If a more liquid marshmallow sauce is desired, add a little more water as you go along until you reach the consistency you like.
Original Recipes for 'Baked Chocolate Puddings'
'BOOK 4': Bestway Cookery Gift Book (Third Book) (1928)
By: Best Way
Publisher: Offices of The 'Best Way' Series (Fleetway House, Farringdon Street, London, E.C.4, England, U.K.)