A few weeks back, the pair of us foraged a basketful of blackberries from our semi-local meadows which have been patiently waiting in our freezer for us to find a couple of blackberry-y recipes to take our fancy. This 1987 recipe for ‘Autumn Pie’ caught our eye.
It’s a seriously sweet berry meringue pie that is, in our humble opinion, best enjoyed hot and with lashings of pouring cream. Imagine curling up in a cosy armchair next to a crackling fire with a slice 🍂🍁🍂. Don’t mind our messy rustic lattice 🙃.
Original Recipe: 'Autumn Pie' (Book 10, 1987)
Speed: 2 hrs | Serves: 6-8
225g plain flour
¼ tsp. salt
100g caster sugar
350g blackberries or loganberries
2 tsp. cornflour
3 tbsp. gooseberry jam
3 egg whites
6 tbsp. icing sugar
1. Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl and then rub in the butter. Stir in the whole egg and 2 tbsp. of the caster sugar. Form into a dough and then chill for 20 minutes.
2. Roll out the pastry to line a buttered 20cm / 8 inch tart tin. Prick the base a few times with a fork and fill with grease-proof paper and baking beans. Blind bake at 160° C/ 325° F / Gas Mark 3 for 15-20 minutes before leaving to cool down completely.
3. As your pastry case cools, make your filling. Put your berries into a sieve over a saucepan and sprinkle with the remaining caster sugar. Leave to drain for about 10 minutes and then set the berries aside.
4. Warm the berry juice over a low heat. Blend the cornflour with 1 tbsp. water and stir this in to the berry juice. Bring to the boil and simmer until thickened. Remove from the heat, add the berries to the berry juice and then leave to cool.
5. Spread the jam over the pastry base and then spoon in the berry mixture.
6. Whisk the egg whites with the icing sugar until stiff and then pipe over the berry filling in a lattice. Bake at 180° C / 350° F / Gas Mark 4 for 15 minutes. Cool before serving.
Note: While the recipe says to serve this dish cool, we prefer it hot (we tried ours both cold and reheated). Nice both ways, though.
Original Recipes for ‘Autumn Pie'
'BOOK 10': The Best of Cooking, 14th Edition (1987)
Publisher: Hamlyn Publishing Group Limited (Bridge House, London Road, Twickenham, Middlesex, England, U.K.)